Doolittle & Dalley logo
Contact Us
Call us on
0345 3700 300
Email us
call-to-action call-to-action-mobile

Which Documents Should My Landlord Give Me?

Search for properties

To buy or to rent?

Property type

Minimum price

Maximum price

Minimum bedrooms


Thu 07 Jul 2022

Which Documents Should My Landlord Give Me?

If you’re renting a property in the Wyre Forest and Shropshire, your landlord has a responsibility to supply you with several important documents. Not sure what those are? The expert team here at Doolittle & Dalley have prepared this helpful guide so you know exactly what to expect as a tenant.

1. Your Tenancy Agreement

The most important document that your landlord must give you is your tenancy agreement. This contract is either a digital or written document setting out your tenancy’s legal terms. Typically, these agreements are drafted up and signed by both landlord and tenant a couple of weeks before your tenancy begins. The agreement must detail:

  • Names of all parties
  • Property address
  • Tenancy beginning and end dates
  • How much the rent will be
  • How the rent should be paid
  • Deposit amount and how the landlord will protect it
  • Landlord and tenant’s obligations

There may also be clauses included about subletting, pets, common area or garden rules, rent reviews, and permitted occupiers. You should always read the agreement carefully before you sign so you are familiar with your rights and responsibilities during your tenancy.

2. A “How To Rent” Guide

This government document must be supplied to every tenant by their landlord before the date their tenancy starts.

3. Information About Your Deposit Protection

If your tenancy is an AST (assured shorthold tenancy), your deposit has to be protected and registered in a tenancy deposit scheme. Within a 30-day period of receiving your deposit, your landlord is legally required to give you deposit prescribed information including details of how much you paid, the property’s address, contact information for the administrator of the scheme, and the tenant and landlord’s address, name, and contact information.

4. The EPC

To be let out legally, a rental property must have an EPC (energy performance certificate) with a rating of E or higher. Landlords have a legal obligation to give you a copy of the property’s EPC if you request it.

5. The EICR

The EICR or Electrical Installation Condition Report assesses the property’s electrical systems for safety and efficiency. This report must be arranged before your tenancy starts and if you haven’t seen yours, you have the right to request a copy.

6. The Gas Safety Record

When your rental property has had its gas appliances and fittings inspected, its gas safety record will be issued and this document must be given to your before your tenancy begins. Make sure you’ve checked the certificate expiry date for validity.

7. The Inventory

This tenancy document outlines all of the contents of the property along with their condition. While It isn’t legally required, it’s strongly recommended that landlords supply an inventory to their tenants including details of ceilings and walls, fittings and fixtures, flooring, windows and doors, kitchen appliances and units, bathroom facilities, gardens, and outbuildings (if applicable), and furniture (if fully or partially furnished).

Looking For A Rental Property

Are you looking for a suitable rental property in Wyre Forest and Shropshire? Then make Doolittle & Dalley your first port of call. Take a look at our website at for details of the latest rental properties, or give our friendly team a call on 01562 821 600 to find out more about how we can help you find the perfect place to live.